Thursday, November 13, 2008

day 14

You must be more like your grandma Ferrin than not. She would dream things and now you do too. Baby's name does start with a "K", it's Kian Michael. Which is pretty good considering that he was going to be a DeShawn. He looks more like a Kian to me. He is so very sweet. That is good that you are sending blessings his way. He seems perfect to me, but the doc has some concerns and they are doing tests on him. Although he is home now, we won't know for sure how he really is doing for a few more weeks.
I thought that you would be able to find what you needed in Chennai. When I told dad that Pondicherry was colonized by the french, he said "it's still India," so I read with amusement when you said as much yourself. I have yet to look up Auroville, but will see what is in store for you at your next destination.
On the home front, we are still here in Vegas. Not sure when we will be heading home. I first thought that I would stay at least a week, but when dad couldn't get the days off I figured I would head home on Saturday, but now I am thinking I may extend that. Jimmy needs to go back to work and I just feel that Taiya could benefit having someone here. Grandma was going to stay until after Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure she is wanting to do that. You know she doesn't like to be away from our home for very long. The weather here is perfect...80's today with blue skies, it's easy to convince myself I ought to linger.
As the days go by and I read your posts, I am not as anxious about your travels. You have encountered quite a bit and have managed to get by. You really sound like you are enjoying your trip and I can't wait to see you, see your pictures and hear all about it. Are you writing in your journal? Remember to put it all down, so one day when you are a very old, old man you can read all about it and relive your adventure.


Joey wrote:
Namaste from Pondicherry!

I can't believe the baby was born so soon. I kept having dream after dream about this child's birth (remember that I'm about 24.5 hours a head of you) and here he is. My fabulous little nephew!!
I was a little worried about not hearing from you after his birth.. Once I "felt" that he was here though, I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief and possibly safety. It feels good knowing that much is happening while I'm away :) What name did they both decide on? In my dreams the name started with a "K" not knowing what it's entirety was... Please wish Tai and Jimmy my love. I'm so happy to hear that we have a new addition to our wonderful family. Tomorrow I will have to find a sadhu (who is anxiously waiting to take my money, I'm sure) that can bless the new born, hundreds of thousand mile away. <3

I hate to admit it,
but Chennai really grew on me pretty quickly. I got everything done that needed to get done. Small things were finally accomplished. Things such an American adapters (now I'm free to take as many pictures as possible!!!), fingernail clippers, rubber flip flops, soap, and even some valium (which I must say, helps dull the senses to this harsh Indian culture) were all abble to be purchased.
As far as eating went, I found some of the best Indian cuisine in S.India so far. Half the time I couldn't understant a word that my waiter said but he never failed to bring me something absolutely fantastic. I really liked Chennai, and even though I was only able to stay for a night, I had a great time roaming the city.

I arrived in Pondicherry last night and stayed in an over-priced (875rs) "budget lodge" that didn't have much character but it was close to the city though so wonderng aimlessly thoughout the city after dark didn't seem too "off-putting". I moved to another guest house about 30-45 minutes (walking distance) away from the French Quarter and with attached bathroom it's only 600rs. I really love this place. It has so much charecture and tte rooms are nicely decorated and full of colour. I can see myself staying for AT LEAST another night. Except rickshaws here cost a lot so I've been planning to just walk everywhere unless it gets too dark.

The French Quarter is still very much India, though. I had imagined it to be a little more.... "French". That is definately not the case. Wider streets and most buisnesses operate on European times. 9am-1:30-ish and 5pm-11pm. It's slightly different here nut a nice change of pace. It feel SO AMAZING to get the small nessesities that I've been longing for. I'm starting to feel like I'm SLOWLY but surely breaking into this whole "Indian culture thing". Tomorrow I plan to visit the Sri Aurobindo Ashram. People tell me it's pretty amzing and extremely cheaper accomidation. I just might visit Auroville aswell, Which is a humanitary communtity filled with tourists of the like.
well,
It's been wonderful writing home (especially since this GH offers FREE internet!!) and hearing the wonderful news of the birth of my little nephew. I hope to see him around Christmas if not sooner.
Wish everyone well and send my love to everyone at home... or in Vegas... or wherever you are.


I miss you everyday.


Love,
ME

No comments: