Wednesday, November 5, 2008

day 6

I had to giggle when I read about your "close encounters" with the natives. I could just imagine how neat you thought it was until you realized how overwhelming it was to be surrounded by so many people. I hope you are taking lots of photos and that you will be able to share them before you come back home.
Is language not a barrier at all? I realize that English is spoken everywhere, but I also know that not everyone speaks it. It was nice that you met other travelers and was able to spend time with them comparing notes.
While you were off gallivating among the ruins of India, we had to endure the first snowy winter storm. I say I don't like the snow, but I can't help feeling excitement waiting for the snow to hit the valley. You look with anticipation towards the cloud covered mountain peaks wondering how far will the snow make it down the mountain this time. Every storm after, you track winter's snowy progression until you reach the point that you know with all certainty that the next stormy day will bring the flakes flying in the valley. I think that maybe I like snow, I just don't like long winters
I had so much I wanted to say, but I had another 15 hour day at work and have volunteered to come in tomorrow [at 7:00], I am so tired, but I wanted to write a little before I went to bed. I will dream sweet dreams of you

joey wrote:
Mom!!your lagging on the communication and it's putting knots in my stomach! After i wrote, things started feeling a lot better. i had dinner on a roof top reseraunt where two ladies from berlin joined me. They were completely exhausted and sick of the huge crowds so it made me feel better knowing i wasn't the only one. Today i went on what seemed to be a long hike by all the boulders and rock carved temples. So many people are here and I started to get SWARMED by younger indian boys. All wanting pictures of me and wanting to shake my hand. At first it was fun, but after 15 minutes of not being able to move foreward due to the crowd around me... it got a little scary. i finally had to just say goodbye and attempt to run away, but then everyone started to follow me!! they were harmless I'm sure. It was just too much. I've never experienced anything like it before.I'm determined to see the hampi that I came to india to see. so i plan on staying here as long as it takes. right now it cost about 1000 rp for a room but some are saying that prices really drop once this thing is over. which is tomorrow.It's really beautiful here though, i mean the crowds are extremely distracting but i guess i can't really complain. this is their home and their festival. appearantly it's a really big deal. all i can do is patiently wait and hope that once these festivities are over the crowds will ggo home. after hampi, I'm thinking i might head up to Badami... it's a little out of the way and i'd have to backtrack to get where i'm going after but people say it's worth it. If that doesn't work out... i'll probably head to auroville in tamil nadu, i think. those berlinians told me it's really something else.well that's it for now. i miss and love you.

No comments: